Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Depression and the Cure


I know that I promised the second part of the lesson from "Purpose Driven Life", but today I wanted to do something a little different. We will do the second part of the lesson tomorrow.

This is part of my testimony, and it took place yesterday and this morning. Let me give you a short background. If you have already read the testimony that I posted a couple of days ago, you will know that I have had medical problems almost all of my life, starting with a stroke at the age of 10. Almost 10 years ago, I broke my hip and, after three failed attempts of putting artificial hips in, I have no hip on my right side. As a result, I am left wheelchair-bound for the rest of my life.  As you can imagine, this is taking a toll on me, as I have to get used to a whole new way of life.

Yesterday it hit me: I will never walk again. This realization is a hard pill to swallow. When we go through a life-changing event that is negative, we tend to want to blame someone, anyone. It's only human. In this case, I was blaming the doctor. A seed of bitterness was threatening to grow in my heart.

But in the light of day this morning, things looked a lot different. Yes, the fact is, I cannot walk, but God brought me through the infection that was threatening to take my life in 2011. He obviously has a job for me to do here on earth before He takes me home.

When things of this world get us down, God wants us to turn the page. Remember Romans 8:28, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

No comments:

Post a Comment