Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Jabez's Prayer

This lesson is from my devotional, Meditation Moments by Millie Stamm.

And Jabez called on the God of Israel, "Oh, that thou wouldest bless indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me,  and that though wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me!" And God granted him that which he requested.
                                                                                                   1 Chronicles 4:10

Though we do not see Jabez in the Bible more than this one verse, theologians believe that Jabez is truly the prayer warrior.  First, we see him ask God to bless him.  Now, ordinarily we would say that this alone is a selfish prayer way to pray.  However, Jabez knows that without God's blessings, he cannot bless others.  He then asks Him to "enlarge [his] coast".  Here, Jabez is praying that God bring more people into his life that he might lead them to Him. Jabez prayed lastly that God would guide him and keep him from evil.

This prayer is near and dear to my heart.  I truly admire Jabez and love this prayer.

Thank you all for joining me today.  May God bless you and keep you from evil.




No comments:

Post a Comment